Bloodfire (Blood Destiny) by Helen Harper Review

Series: Blood Destiny #1
Publish: December 27th 2012 by Helen Harper
Format: ebook, 246 pages
Rating: 5 / 5
Synopsis: Mack might be, to all intents and purposes, a normal looking human, but she lives with a pack of shapeshifters in Cornwall in rural England after being dumped there by her mother when she was just a young child. She desperately wants to be accepted by her surrogate family, not least because a lot of them hate her for merely being human, but for some reason her blood just won't allow the transformation to occur.
With a terrible temper to match her fiery red hair, Mack is extraordinarily useful in a fight, and when her pack alpha is brutally and abruptly murdered, she swears vengeance. Unfortunately, his murder also draws in the Brethren - the leaders of the shapeshifter world - who will slaughter everyone in Mack's small rural pack if they discover her true identity. Unfortunately Corrigan, the green-eyed muscle-bound Lord Alpha of the Brethren, doesn't let much slip by him...
Review:
  This is the first book I ever read from Helen Harper but I's sure I'm going to look for her works from now on. I have it on my to read list for a while now, but for some reason I didn't read it yet. However, the other day I stubled upon it again and started it. I'm glad I did, because it is an excellente story and I found a lot of similarities with one of my favourite series. I quckly became a fan.

  The story starts after a devasting event in the pack life and from there everything start to spiral out of control at least for Mack. There is already a lot of threat for her life but suddenly these multiply. There is a great chance that her true identity is gets exposed but she is too determined to get revenge so she is willing to risk it. The whole mystery about Joh murderer is strongly interwined with Mack history and secrets. However, while Mack part of the suspense is quite predictable the other part isn't. Thanks to this there is a really strong balance in the plot. I really liked the book, it was a little strenge in parts but in the good way. Everything takes olace in the British Islands with a little supernatural twist. I think the autor idea about the paranormal world is quite godd, but in this book it mainly focuses on the shifter population and doesn't really talks about other species. Otherwise I like the general background of the story. There is a tangled web of lies and secrets in the shadows what makes difficult everybody lifes.
  The plot is well spaced and gradually unfolds. A well written book with interesting characters, exciting world and an action packed plot. The whole story is told by Mack who gives us a hazy picture since she isn't quite sure what's going on either.

  There is a lot of interesting character in the book but we only get a clear picture about Mack. She is my cup of tea. Strong, snarky, fiery and generally a trouble maker. She is raised by the pack and they are the only family she knows, but since she is human her mere existence is a therat for the pack. She needs to keep a low profile for a while but foe some reason she simply can't do it. No matter how much she tries. Everywhere she goes trouble follows. I really like her personality but it is a bit strange that nobody ever quetioned tha fact that she is a better fighter than most shifters when is is just a human. Beside this her bloodfire thingy is a little hazy, it takes a while to really unterstand the meaning of it. This ridiculous disregard of clues from their part is easily forgivable because it doesn't take away from the story.
  Corrigan is the only one who sees the signs of her power he just can't put together the right picture. However he is a really observant and in my opinion quite likable character. Sexy, strong and smart and for some reason Mack got his attention from the beginning, too much of his attention. I love the interactions between the two and I think there is a hidden attraction somewhere behind their fighting. He knows perfectly which buttons to push and not just with Mack, everybody. I like him, I hope there is going to be something more between him and Mack.
  I like most of the pack, well expect Anton, but unfortunately we doesn't get to know them enough. There is a lack of deeper introduczion for them. They all love Mack in different ways. Most of them is kind and loyal.

  It is a beautiful and interesting story, but it is missing something, something I can't quite put my hands on. Still I loved it. I can't wait to finish the second book, since there is a lot of place for development in every way, but for a first book it's perfect. It's spieced with a lot of surprising twist and turn most of them I couldn't perdict and I liked it. It is a fresh and a phenomenal book. Perfect for everybody who likes urban fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment