Elsker (The Elsker Saga) by S.T. Bende Review

Series: The Elsker Saga #1
Publish: May 16th 2014 by S.T. Bende
Format: ebook, 305 pages
Rating: 5 / 4
Synopsis: Kristia Tostenson prefers Earl Grey to Grey Goose and book clubs to nightclubs, but when she transfers from her one-stoplight town to Cardiff University in Wales she falls in love with Ull Myhr. Her new boyfriend isn’t exactly what she was expecting. He’s an honest-to-goodness Norse God — an immortal assassin fated to die at Ragnarok, the battle destined to destroy Asgard and Earth. Kristia’s crazy visions are the only thing that can save their realms. Her orderly life just got very messy.
Review:
  I love books about mythology and I found this series one day when I was browsing the realeses under the genre. I was a bit reluctant to start because the synopsis was too telling for my taste. I don't really like when I can get to know basicly the whole story beforehand. So the other day I got over myself and started it.

  The plot and the mythologycal elements of the book was actually quite interesting and enjoyable and it had a couple of original ideas, too. Sure there was some samll similarities with other popular young adult trilogy, but not too much so it wasn't annoying, yet. My main problem was that some of the scenes and interactions in the book felt forced, staged and sometimes a bit childish. Mainly when there was supposed to be a bit flirting. Fortunately, eventually these parts faded out and the story became a bit more natural.
  The author built up quite an interesting settings for her book and it was really well constructed. The flow of the story was really good if sometimes a bit erratic, but not confusing.

  I loved the characters they weren't perfect even so they were supposed to be gods. Kristia had a hard life in a remote little town where she her ability was a known fact, and I think she made it harder for herself when she titled herself crazy. She wa shy in the beginning but during the book she developed a comletly different personality. A more determined and brave one but still a bit childish. It was good to see her 'bloom'.
  Ull was a real gentleman, who treated Kristia quite good, of course just after the hard and challenging start where he tried to be act as a hard edged and unattainable person. He was a Norse god but we didn't get to see that side of him, yet. Hopefully in the next book.
  I liked the secondary characters too. They all had a uniqe personality and they played a major role in Kristia personality change, but I don't think they gonna have a bigger role in the whole Ragnarok story line. Who knows. I also loved Ull immediate family however the only appeared at the very late stage of the story.

  First I was going to give the book a lower rating but in the end things really heated up and there was a bit more action too. I hope later we get a deeper picture of the mythologycal line I missed that. Oh, and I think that the identity of the bad gus was really obvious but nobody seen it. I can't wait for the second book.

No comments:

Post a Comment